Shomrei Hadath Synagogue is a modern orthodox shul and a member of the Federation of Synagogues. Founded in 1946, Shomrei is a dynamic and warm community, serving members of all ages and across a broad spectrum of observance.
Many call the kiddush at Shomrei the best in town, and we are flattered by the compliment. The food is part of that, but we are just as proud by the sense of community that is readily apparent during kiddush. We are also very proud to strive for the ideal of Torah Umuddah (Torah and Secular Knowledge) as a truly modern orthodox synagogue. Located in the heart of West Hampstead and ideally located to serve Hampstead, Child's Hill, Cricklewood, Killburn, Brondesbury and Belsize Park, and with Golders Green and Hendon in near proximity, Shomrei offers regular shabbat, yom tov, selichot and rosh chodesh minyanim and works with other synagogues and organisations in the area to make Northwest London an exciting and dynamic place to be Jewish. Shomrei offers a full calendar of learning and social action opportunities throughout the year and welcomes guests of all levels of observance.
Shomrei's History and Facilities
The Shomrei Hadath Congregation was founded in 1946 as the first constituent synagogue of the Federation of Synagogues. Regular minyanim began on the first day of Selichos 5706, on 22 September 1946.
In the early years, services were held in a hall on the site of our current facility but soon transferred to the larger adjacent building on Finchley Road, where the congregation consolidated its establishment. In 1989, Shomrei returned to a purpose-built shul on the original site.
The current synagogue has been designed so that it faces due east. In the easternmost corner are a pair of stained glass windows depicting the seven species of fruits of the land of Israel--wheat, pomegranates, olives (oil), dates (honey), barley, grapes (wine), and figs. The other stained glass windows are the two large candelabras were preserved from the original shul.
The style of the building--with different levels, wooden roof and balcony and the men's gallery lower than street level--is based on a medieval Jewish tradition.
In keeping with an old custom, earth from the land of Israel has been set in the floor belove the place where the chazan stands and also below the bimah from which the shofar is sounded on Rosh Hashanah.
- R’ Kopul Rosen: 1946 – 1949
- R’ David Berkowitz: 1950 – 1973
- Dayan Kasriel David Kaplin: 1973 – 1998
- R’ Mordechai Fachler: 2000 – 2010
- R’ Reuven Livingston (Interim): 2011 – 2011
- R’ Daniel Glass: 2012 – 2013
- R’ Moshe Mayerfeld: 2014 – 2017
- R' Shmuli Sagal: 2018 – Present